Philoptochos means “friend of the poor”.
The Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society is the duly accredited women’s philanthropic society of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Inc. Established in 1931 by the Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras who was serving then as Archbishop of North and South America, Philoptochos has now grown nationally to over 450 chapters and is the largest Christian women’s philanthropic organization in the United States. Women who participate in the local chapter of Philoptochos are also automatically members of the National and Metropolis Philoptochos.
President: Shelley Anderson
1st VP: Bessy Karras
2nd VP: Kristy Pappas
Secretaries: Goldie Kacinski & Sissy Sakellariou
Treasurers: Mary Katsanevas & Nia Reganis
2nd Saturday after Pascha; The Holy Hieromartyr Januarius and Those With Him; Our Holy Father Maximian, Patriarch of Constantinople; Theodore the Holy Martyr & his mother Philippa of Perge; Alexandra the Martyr; Anastasios the Monk of Sinai; Beuno, Abbot of Clynnog